Videogame Volumes: Hogwarts Legacy

Vaughn Perez

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff writes about the gaming and esports community.

Vaughn Perez, Staff Reporter

Warner Bros. Games released their open-world, role-playing game Hogwarts Legacy a couple of weeks ago, and it’s been quite the release for them.

Before release, the game received heavy backlash from the LGBTQ+ community and other supporters, as the game was tied with author J.K. Rowling and controversy with certain comments from her. This led to people believing this game would bomb once released, however, it seems to be the opposite as the game has seemed to build a solid foundation with its’ player base.

Through the three weeks it’s been out, they’ve reached a peak of 879,308 concurrent players and an average of almost 200,000 players per day. And despite the pre-release controversy, Hogwarts Legacy seems to be a good game, similar to Elden Ring in some aspects. 

Set in 1800 and the wizarding world, this time, the story is set around your character, with a brand new supporting cast that’ll be helping you around your journey. You start by choosing your house, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff, and after, you’ll begin your journey as a student, learning different spells, brewing potions, fighting magical creatures, and taming beasts. 

Similar to Elden Ring, as you traverse the wizarding world, you’ll continue to upgrade gear to get more powerful and master wizardry. You fight giant beasts and enemies to uncover the dark secrets that are held around Hogwarts and its campus. It’s a fun game where you get to make your own story and name in the wizarding world, especially if you’re quite a fan of the original Harry Potter series.

It’s available on Xbox X, PS5, and PC for $60 on their respective websites, and it’ll be coming to the Nintendo Switch in the summer, so I highly recommend giving it a try, if you’re a fan of the series itself, or just a fan of open-world RPGs.