AP anxiety increasing for some freshmen

AP Human Geography teacher Tim Johannes has been preparing his students since the start of the year for the AP exam and uses some of the time after a break to review material from earlier in the year.

Mady Daddario

Prachurjya Shreya, Guest Contributor

With AP testing just around the corner, many freshmen are preparing for their first AP test. AP Human Geography is one of two AP courses offered to freshmen coming into high school and AP Human Geography teacher Tim Johannes has been preparing students for the test on May 13.

“AP courses are designed to prepare students from day one for the AP test,” Johannes said. “We follow the curriculum outline by the college board, we teach to that curriculum design. Everything we’ve been doing all year has been guided towards the AP class which is guided towards the AP test.”

The AP Human Geography test can be counted towards college credit which has some students nervous about taking their first AP test and working under pressure.

“I feel very anxious,” freshman Fiza Bashir said. “I am looking forward to the review unit. I am going to study more at home so I can do well on the test.”

Throughout the year, the AP Human Geography class has gone through seven units.

“I feel confident that the course has prepared me well because it has taught me a lot of really good studying skills and ways to manage my time well,” freshman Melody Tavallaee said. “Both when I’m studying and while taking the test.”

After months of lectures and lessons, Johannes says his students are ready for the test.

“I feel very confident about the students taking the test,” Johannes said. “They have been planning for it all year and preparing for it and the test is a good assessment to let them know where they are with peers that take the same test all across the world.”