Taking trigonometry to the next level with Pre-Cal project

Erika Pernis

Pre-Cal is implementing a project into their trigonometric equations unit. Students have to create a creative representation and explanation of a certain equation.

Erika Pernis, Editor-In-Chief

Pre-Calculus students took a break from their typical practice worksheets and assessments by doing a project aimed at bettering their understanding of solving trigonometric equations. Students have to create a creative representation and explanation of a certain equation.

“We decided to include a project for this unit because it has been done in the past here at Liberty and was found to be a great way for the students to demonstrate their knowledge on how to solve trig equations,” pre-calculus teacher Yasmine Secrist said. “It also helps them to learn to be more detail-oriented when explaining problems to others.”

Students have different options for how they present their projects, including slideshows and storybooks.

“Me and my partner are making a slideshow,” junior Mauli Karapurkar said. “Putting pictures on it and we’re going to do a voiceover explaining how we got to each step and how we solved that.”

Junior Anila Narula thinks the project helps get better familiarized with the little details involved in solving the equations.

“So since we’re doing like a storybook, a children’s book, we have to really detail out every single step and how to actually do it and explain everything,” Narula said. “The very basics and really going through that helped me further understand the actual topic and how it all combines and fits together and works out.”

For Secrist, it also helps students express their talents that would not have normally been seen in her math classroom.

“We have students of wide and various talents, so getting to see that side is awesome for me as a teacher,” Secrist said. “It is a beautiful sight to see students’ interests and the math aligning with each other.”