AP Lit discusses Beloved through socratic seminar

Erika Pernis

After wrapping up the novel Beloved, AP Lit students partook in a socratic seminar to wrap up the grading quarter.

Caroline Caruso, Editor-in-Chief

Anyone have a novel question? AP Lit students may have the answer.

To discuss their recently read novel “Beloved,” AP Literature and Composition students are circling up for a class-wide socratic seminar last Thursday and on Tuesday.

The seminar aims to push students out of their comfort zone in having group discussions, according to AP Lit teacher Katherine Allen. 

Group discussions allow students to socially process the novel and work through what they see in the novel and get answers to any questions they have,” Allen said. “Often when students are able to discuss the novel in this manner they are given an opportunity to learn about the novel through their peers’ eyes.  This helps prepare them for the novel timed write they will be writing this quarter and possibly for the AP LIT Test.”

Eager to explore this new method of learning, senior AP Lit student Sherry Hu looks forward to hearing new perspectives on the novel.

“I think it’s really helpful, especially because the seminar will allow us to see a variety of perspectives,” she said. “I think in college we will find a lot more settings similar to this, so I am looking forward to exploring this learning opportunity.”

Senior Ramyaa Kota believes the discussion acts as good preparation in review for the essay students will have to write in weeks following. 

“Being able to actively participate and interact with others just makes the text come alive to me,” Kota said. “We have our essay coming up soon and I think this seminar is a big relief because we are refreshing ourselves on content and having productive conversations about the book’s themes at the same time”