Academic UIL District Competition held Saturday

Advik Dixit

Some of the Redhawks on campus will be competing in the Academic UIL District Competition Saturday at Independence High School. Students who place highly will advance to regionals.

Erika Pernis, Editor-In-Chief

Dozens of Redhawks are competing in the Academic UIL District Competition Saturday at Independence High School.

“Our UIL Team has been meeting for an hour weekly for the last 3-4 months in preparation for all 3 events,” senior Sanjheev Rao said. “Additionally, we have participated in a practice events to hone in our test-taking strategies.”

Math UIL coach calculus teacher Jennifer Rumery appreciates the students’ hard dedication and practice.

“We have practice sessions once a week for each event where we work practice tests from previous years/competitions,” They have been working really hard.

After good results last year, Rao expects the team to come on top again at the district level.

“We won our district last year and our team this year is of the same level, if not better,” Rao said. “The goal is to win again as only the #1 team advances to regionals.”

Rumery also has high hopes for the team to do well in districts.

“I expect us to do really well at districts and advance to regionals in all events,” Rumery said. “I am cautiously optimistic that we will advance to state in at least one event and hopefully more.”