Model UN members excel at statewide convention

Athena Tseng

Model United Nations had it statewide conference this past weekend. Students on campus excelled at the competition, winning various elections and taking home awards.

Athena Tseng, Editor-In-Chief

The statewide convention for Model United Nations, an organization that aims to educate students on diplomacy and international relations, took place Friday-Sunday.

“ I had a really great experience at State because it was both fun and really educational,” freshman Neha Ramachandran said. “I got to meet a lot of people, make a lot of new friends, which I think is a great aspect of MUN. That’s probably my favorite part of MUN and State really helped enhance this experience.”

The state conference has a lot of traditions that the delegates participated in.

“It was my first time doing Security Council at state and even though I had to wake up at 1 a.m. to debate, it was really fun,” junior Aashi Oswal said. “From this experience I’ve learned the importance of making relationships with people. For a lot of my friends in MUN it was their last year and so I definitely enjoyed spending this weekend with them!”

Beside debate, there were also awards given and elections were held for next year’s state officers.

“After becoming the state Director of Conference last year, I was thrilled to give back to an organization that meant so much to me, and now to serve as the face of this program, as the Secretary-General of TXMUN, is special beyond words,” junior Bala Ravulapalli said. “I’ve always seen Model United Nations as the most accessible way to involve students with public speaking, and at the 2023 State Conference, our Liberty delegates were able to showcase their debate skills against students from across Texas.”

Throughout the experience, students gained many skills from public speaking to team work.

“My favorite part of MUN state conference was watching how well Liberty students led in committee and as the secretariat putting on the conference,” sponsor Sarah Wiseman said. “It’s always so impressive to see students acting professionally, compassionately and responsibly, and working with others to come up with really great solutions to real world problems.”