Opinion: End of six week stress

Wingspan columnist Emma Crampton writes about the stress that often comes with the end of a six week grading period.

Dea Divi

Emma Crampton, Staff Reporter

The first and last couple weeks of the grading period are always the most overwhelming and chaotic. There are always two or even three weeks in the grading period that are generally very laid back and there is not much that goes on. However, those first and especially last weeks are insanely packed with tests, projects and new information from every single class.

This week is the last week of the fifth six weeks. Currently I am handling several projects and facing multiple tests all in this single week. I understand that most tests and CBA’s have to be pushed back to the end of the six weeks due to the fact that that point is usually when the end of the unit falls. However, if we are going to be assigned projects, there is plenty of information to cover on those given projects in the middle of the grading period.

I believe that projects and some tests should be spread out throughout the entire grading period rather than assigning them all at the end of the six weeks. Spreading things out could reduce stress and possibly allow students to understand what they are learning while they are learning it instead of after. The way things go now, there is one week where students are stressed out and overwhelmed as they attempt to handle too many things at once. This could result in one’s failure to put all of their effort into these assignments, or perhaps failure to complete them at all.

Therefore, spreading major grades such as projects and tests out throughout the grading period could bring more success in students as well as their work.