MJ goes D1

Provided by Mary Jane McCurdy

Nine years in the making, junior Mary Jane McCurdy verbally committed to Texas State University to play Division 1 volleyball. As a junior, Mary Jane still has a year left of being a Redhawk, but she has big plans as a Bobcat.

A Redhawk for another year, junior Mary Jane McCurdy has plans to be a Bobcat in 2024 with her verbal commitment to play Division 1 volleyball at Texas State University.

“This was honestly not a super hard decision because when I went on my visit, I fell in love with the school,” Mary Jane said. “My biggest decision factor was just a good team culture. I talked to many of the girls on the team and they were all best friends and seemed to love the program. I also wanted to be driveable to home and because it was such a pretty campus and drive, it was super easy to check that off the list.”

I fell in love with the school,

— Junior Mary Jane McCurdy

Redhawks head coach Eighmy Dobbins knew from the beginning that this was something Mary Jane could accomplish. 

“I was insanely happy when MJ told me she decided to commit,” Dobbins said. “Since her freshman year, I have told her that she could compete at the collegiate level. I am so glad she found somewhere like Texas State. It’s an awesome school, a consistently successful program, and the coaches appreciate MJ as a player and are super excited about her future as a Bobcat. I can’t wait to watch and support her at the next level.”

Mary Jane’s passion for volleyball started in the third grade, and it’s something that stands out to her parents.

I feel nothing but pride and love when I look at her,

— Mom Anissa McCurdy

“One of my favorite memories of parenting will always be MJ and her club volleyball years,” mom Anissa McCurdy said. “I have loved watching her play the sport, but I have cherished even more how she handles herself on the team and leads her peers in both skill and attitude. I am ever thankful that it isn’t over yet. Sometimes I look at her and I can’t believe that we are here and that she is 17 and committing for college. I feel nothing but pride and love when I look at her.”

“Watching Mary Jane compete is one of my favorite things to do as she has grown up in volleyball,” dad Chris McCurdy said. “Her passion and respect for the game shows in her contribution on and off the court,” dad Chris McCurdy said. “Regardless of the sport, what makes me most proud is that she is a teammate first.  She wants her entire team to be successful and will coach, cheer, and ensure team success

Having the opportunity to choose a Division 1 school isn’t something most high school athletes get to do as 1.2% of high school volleyball players commit to D1 schools according to ASM Scholarships.

I felt wanted at Texas State,

— Junior Mary Jane McCurdy

“It’s an insane amount of work to commit, especially to a successful Division 1 program,” Dobbins said. “There are thousands of girls fighting for limited spots, so it’s a highly competitive process. MJ has always put 100% into practices and workouts at school, and she plays club volleyball where she practices and lifts multiple times a week as well. She really never stops training; it’s a year round commitment.”

Although she has more than a year of high school left, Mary Jane is looking forward to where this next level will take her.

“I chose this school because it has a great volleyball program, the coaches were super great, and I felt wanted at Texas State,” Mary Jane said. “The school also has a great business program which is super interesting to me. I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people and getting to continue my volleyball career. I love playing and I’m super excited to see how college volleyball goes.”