A horrifyingly good addition to the Scream franchise

Paramount Pictures

The long awaited Scream VI finally released last month. Compared to the 1996 Scream, Scream VI has a higher production value, setting it apart from the other Scream movies.

Ashlyn Walker, Guest Contributor

The long-awaited Scream VI finally made its way to theaters, and adults and teens everywhere did not hesitate to get their tickets. The original Scream came out in 1996, and thankfully the directors decided that one was just not enough. 

Since Scream VI was made with modern technology and higher standards, the quality is much better than any of the other movies. This also means there is more gore and better acting, so it makes the movie seem more realistic. Most of the Scream movies tend to be very repetitive, and there wasn’t much to them, but Scream VI stands out and steers away from the others while also staying connected. 

Ghostface is not a person but rather a persona. High school students Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich) and Stu Macher (Matthew Lillard) started the trend when they went on a revenge-killing spree wearing the Ghostface Halloween costume. Since then, other psychopaths have followed in their footsteps and even idolized the past Ghostface killers. 

Survivors of the Ghostface killings in the haunted town of Woodbury decide to move to New York to escape, but little do they know, there is no way to get out of the loop once you have entered. After a while thinking they are safe, Tara (Jenna Ortega) and Sam (Melissa Barrera) have to face a new Ghostface with new problems. 

Although “nobody is to be trusted”, Tara and Sam find help from Mindy (Jasmin Savoy Brown) and Chad (Mason Gooding), who are the niece and nephew of Stu Macher. But with Sam being the daughter of Billy Loomis, this group has a big target on their backs. 

Betrayal and grief tend to take over one’s emotions, so the targeted teens put up a good fight. In the end, Scream VI is a great horror/thriller movie, and I highly recommend it to a mature audience. If you are thinking about watching it in theaters, you have to be at least 17 years old or accompanied by a parent or guardian.