Fentanyl’s lethal impact the focus of Thursday’s town hall meeting

Maddie Owens

In an effort to prevent fentanyl usage in students and in the city, Frisco ISD is hosting an informative town hall about fentanyl and its fatal effects.

Christine Han, Staff Reporter

Fentanyl is the focus of a Frisco ISD Town Hall meeting Thursday at 6:00 p.m. in the FISD Board Room. The meeting is the latest step in efforts being made by the district to inform the community of the risks presented by the deadly drug

“We’re bringing awareness to the schools and the school community as a whole, both staff and students,” FISD Director of Student Services Clint Cypert said. “We’re training staff members and what to look for. We’re training assistant principals on how to do searches and how to safely do searches. We have the advisory lessons that we developed for students to teach them about the effects of fentanyl and what they can do to combat it as well.

Thursday’s meet is an opportunity for students and parents alike to educate themselves about the dangers.

“Parents and students absolutely need to know that fentanyl is bad news,” campus school resource officer Glen Hubbard said. “Students need to know that fentanyl is very strong and they shouldn’t take it just to seem cool. They need to know that the first time they take it could be their last time alive.”

Providing a forum for the community to discuss fentanyl is something senior Satvik Duddukuru endorses. 

“Lots of people are dying from the fentanyl crisis and I’ve seen the posters that have been hung up at our school,” Duddukuru said. “Fentanyl is very potent and from what I’ve seen it’s been laced in other types of drugs so that should be addressed in more detail.”