Collin County ranked healthiest in Texas

Nick Young

Collin County is the healthiest county in the state according to the County Health Rankings and Roadmaps program’s annual ranking. The ranking looked at many factors including health behaviors, clinical care, social, economic and physical environment.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

According to the County Health Rankings and Roadmaps program’s annual ranking, Collin County is the healthiest county in the state according to the County Health Rankings and Roadmaps program’s annual ranking

“This is obviously important and is an attractive attribute for those wanting to move to the area,” teacher Jamie Berendt said. “Mainly because if the county is considered having healthy people it is because the county has a lot to offer to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’m sure this is due to the number of activities offered for all ages, parks for getting outside.”

The ranking looked at many factors including health behaviors, clinical care, social, economic and physical environment.

“I’ve actually gotten sick a lot this year but I am glad to live in Collin County because I know they and the state have a lot of protection against unfair pricing at doctor’s offices,” senior Xin Chen said. “Having a large proportion of the population be healthy is not something that just happens, so I am glad that Collin County is actively taking steps to make sure that the county is a great place to live in.”

This is not the first time that Collin County has been recognized like this, as it also received this ranking last year.

“Hearing about this has made me realize what a great place Collin County is to live,” freshman Shreya Narayan said. “I am glad as a student who has lived through this COVID era that I can feel safe coming to school.”

Berendt believes that the importance of a healthy community can go past the benefits it can provide residents.

“As an environmental science teacher I also have to point out that this is also good for the environment,” Berendt said. “To maintain a healthy county, the county needs to continue to mitigate and prevent environmental factors that can make people less healthy. For example, maintaining water quality with natural filtration, vegetation; keeping up regulations for air pollution; and especially by maintaining green spaces for recreation. All these things contribute to healthier ecosystems and biodiversity as well.”