Mark Hill

Provided by Mark Hill

Mark Hill is one of two candidates running for Place 5.

Harley Classe, Editor-In-Chief

Wingspan: The State Legislature is considering bills that would require the Texas Education Agency to develop curriculum for use in Texas public schools. Frisco ISD has a history of writing its own curriculum with local teacher participation. Should the state mandate use of the state curriculum? Why?

Hill: “I support teacher participation in delivery of their curriculum.  Frisco ISD is known for its excellent, and innovative, teachers – and they are best positioned to know the needs of their students.”

Wingspan: The State Legislature is considering creating Education Savings Accounts that would provide families with taxpayer-supported funds that could be used to offset private school tuition. What are your thoughts on this?

Hill: “It is too early to tell, there are various bills and funding concepts currently making their way through the legislature this session.  We all should watch this closely as the session comes to a close.  I believe in public education, and making sure it is well funded.  That is important for so many reasons.  As a Board Member, I will ensure we are advocating for policy that keeps Frisco ISD excellent, its educators well compensated, and makes Frisco ISD the preferred choice for parents.”

Wingspan: To date, Frisco ISD has maintained a “Student Opportunity” model that keeps high school populations in the 5A UIL classification (generally targeting 2,100 students per high school). As we continue to grow, should FISD continue this effort? Why?

Hill: “Yes, this smaller school model provides much more opportunity in our very large District.  In my meetings with so many parents throughout Frisco ISD, they love it.  As a Board Member, I will advocate for policy that keeps this smaller school model which has proven to be a success for Frisco ISD and its stakeholders.”

Wingspan: Frisco ISD has a history of engaging in unique public-private partnerships with the city of Frisco yielding shared use of facilities like the Ford Center, Toyota Stadium, Comerica Center, and PGA Frisco. Have these projects lived up to their promise, and should we continue to seek new opportunities? Why?

Hill: “For sure. These partnerships have helped keep Frisco ISD tax rates near the very lowest in North Texas, while at the same time maintaining an excellent “A” rating and having the finest campuses and facilities.  As the District continues to grow, and state budget concerns persist, these partnerships will continue to be very important.  I have been endorsed by Frisco’s first City Manager George Purefoy, and Frisco Mayor’s going back over 20 years, all of whom have been instrumental in making Frisco and Frisco ISD so successful.”

Wingspan: What is your understanding of Standards Based Grading? Is it having a positive effect on student learning of the Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills? Is there evidence to support your assertion?

Hill: “I believe Standards Based Grading is a work in progress.  It’s new to Frisco ISD.  We have to be careful to make sure we maintain high levels of accountability, while also ensuring student learning of the Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills (or “TEKS”).  I believe timeliness and accountability is important in student achievement, and most parents agree.  As a Board Member, I will be diligent in ensuring we maintain policy that diligently ensures student learning in Frisco ISD and remains excellent.”

Wingspan: School library books have garnered attention over the past year both nationally and locally. Frisco ISD has removed and reclassified books in our school libraries and gives parents access to their student’s checkout history. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Hill: “Frisco ISD has a much improved policy, right now, ensuring appropriate books are in its libraries.  I have met with numerous Frisco ISD librarians, and they also want the library to be a positive resource for students.  My understanding is that from about 200,000 books or resource titles, about 68 have been removed.  That is a very small percentage, and we should remain diligent.  Frisco ISD stakeholders should know that current policy exists to quicky identify and remove future issues, should they arise.”

Wingspan: Property taxes and school funding are big topics of discussion in Austin right now. What do you think of the current system of public school funding?

Hill: “As mentioned above, I believe in public education, and making sure it is well funded.  Frisco ISD tax rates are near the very lowest in North Texas, and were recently reduced again.  The issue is with property assessments at the county level, which have dramatically increased for years causing overall taxes to also increase.  As a Board Member, I will ensure we are advocating for policy that keeps Frisco ISD excellent, it’s educators well compensated, and keeps Frisco ISD the preferred choice for parents.”

Wingspan: For some employees, living outside of the district is a choice, but for others, they can’t afford to buy a home in Frisco. What are your thoughts about many of the district’s employees not living in the district? 

Hill: “It is a central concern in improving Teacher retention, which I believe is the most important issue facing Frisco ISD in the coming years.  Keeping our great teachers, and recruiting wonderful new teachers as our District continues to grow, is critically important.   Not just to teachers, but also to parents.  In the years to come, we should all work with our state and local leaders in ensuring we have more Frisco ISD staff and employees living locally.”

Wingspan: There has been a lot of talk about teacher shortages both nationally and here in Texas. While there can be many reasons for this, one of the common reasons often cited is pay. According to a ranking from the National Education Association, Texas public school teachers made, on average, $57,641 in the 2020-2021 school year which puts Texas at number 28 in the country. What are your thoughts on what Frisco ISD can do to retain its teachers?

Hill: “I believe improving Teacher retention is the most important issue facing Frisco ISD in the coming years.  In my meetings with countless Teachers in Frisco ISD, student behavior issues post-Pandemic are clearly a concern.  As is decreasing the “non-teaching” workload on Teachers.  As a Board Member, I will ensure we are advocating for policy that support Teacher compensation, improves District wide behavior and mental health support, and which provides Teachers the tools they need to continue to be excellent at what they do best – Teach.”