Help Wanted: school seeking student for mascot position

School seeking student with massive amount of school spirit. No experience needed. Free uniform.

Calling+all+students%3A+the+school+mascot+position+is+now+open+as+former+mascot%2C+senior+Andrew+Jauregui+will+be+graduating.+Students+interested+must+submit+a+form+application+and+audition+video+by+May+15.+

Andrew

Calling all students: the school mascot position is now open as former mascot, senior Andrew Jauregui will be graduating. Students interested must submit a form application and audition video by May 15.

Maya Silberman, Managing Editor

For the last two years, senior Andrew Jauregui has filled the role of Rocky the Redhawk, the school mascot. But with Jauregui set to graduate May 20, the search is on for a new candidate to fill Rocky’s shoes and continue to bring the school spirit to campus.

“[Students who want to be Rocky] have to be able to represent the school both in and out of the costume,” he said. “Being a mascot means being larger than life, and if you can’t show your school spirit on your own, you’ll have trouble doing it when you’re in a clunky animal outfit.”

Interested students are required to submit an application and video interview submission by Monday. Additional forms must be submitted to the front office by Friday, and a tryout video submission consisting of a brief skit must be turned in by May 15.

Cheer coach Kandy Stevens will review the applications to be sent to the National Cheer Association for official judging.

“I became mascot toward the end of my sophomore year because cheer was having trouble finding someone to take on the role,” Jauregui said. “I had a class with [two cheerleaders], and after several attempts at convincing me, I decided I’d talk to Stevens [cheer coach Kandy Stevens] about becoming the mascot.”

For Jauregui, the opportunity to be the school’s mascot changed his high school experience for the better.

“I’m part of so many groups on campus, but oftentimes I don’t feel like I belong or am respected,” he said. “I’ve often felt like I’m on the outside trying to fit my way in, but Rocky is at the center of everything. He doesn’t have to worry about feeling like he belongs because this is his school.”

As Rocky, Jauregui has many memorable interactions with students, including senior cheerleader Allie Elgin, who was often the subject of many of his pranks. 

“Rocky is known for being a sneaky little trickster bird,” Elgin said. “He likes to play around and have a good time regardless of the circumstance. To be Rocky one has to emulate the free bird actor persona.”

Junior Blake Lyon often attended and participated in athletic events, and hopes to see a mascot who will continue bringing enthusiasm and athleticism to the role.

“It’s going to be a rocky season, so someone has to be enthusiastic through the ups and the downs,” Lyon said. “I want to see an athletic Rocky who can do some cool tricks.”

Jauregui hopes that his successor carries on the legacy of being Rocky.

“I think being Rocky is the most exclusive title any student at this school can hold,” he said. “It’s a great honor and responsibility.”