• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

View All
May 2 Daily Update
May 2 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 2, 2024

WTV's Sadie Johnson brings you today's news and announcements, including NHS voting, UIL academics, and this week's edition of My Life As.

Every book has a silver lining: exploring Ann Dávila Cardinal’s latest novel

Christina Huang
In this weekly review, Every Book has a Silver Lining, staff reporter Christina Huang takes a look at books to find their silver lining.

Ann Dávila Cardinal delivers a supernatural novel of romance and personal identity in her first novel of 2023: Breakup from Hell, a story well-received by some, and critiqued by others. 

High school senior Miguela Angeles’ life changes completely when she meets a boy. A concept not too unfamiliar for a YA romance novel, but as she gets to know the mysterious stranger, a boy by the name of Sam, it seems to be more than just her mood that changes. From obscure, horrifying visions, to unnatural shows of strength, Miguela, or Mica, unlike some readers had anticipated, becomes suspicious of Sam almost immediately. 

From the very beginning, readers enter a moment of panic, the situation and her method of escape hinting at the nature of the story ready to unfold. Each chapter begins with a Bible verse, particularly ones from the book of Revelation, supporting the topic in this story: the apocalypse. 

For a book written for readers between the ages of 13 and 17, the occasional language used is something to be wary of. However, it’s clear from the narrator’s voice and dialogue who the target audience may be, something that some readers call out as cringy or unnatural sounding in any character, even adolescents. 

Being just under 300 pages, some readers found it an easy read. For some, the book went by faster as they enjoyed it more. For others, it was far-fetched, with an almost cartoonish quality, especially with the way the story came to a close. 

Through a mild yet glaringly evident love triangle that allows readers to clearly see the difference in the relationships given, a few readers—fans and critics alike—found themselves holding onto some hope that the romance expected would work out in the end. 

The characters themselves, especially Mica, weren’t the easiest for all readers to support. Her support system, for starters, discourages her dreams from the very start, the majority of them with no other justification besides wanting to keep her with them. For a handful of readers, the characters, although diverse, were difficult to connect with, a portion of this being their mannerisms. 

Diversity in the characters was, somewhat surprisingly, brought up by both supporters and doubters, each to defend their own reasoning. On one hand, readers found the diversity embedded unable to do less than good, while on the other, other readers argued that some elements seemed to be thrown in for the sake of diversity. 

Further, while some readers were able to create a connection with the characters and hold their breath in suspense, others may have found it hard to sympathize, no matter the situation, this position is aided by, again, the near-comical tone the book carries—a detail that seems to have been unwittingly done. 

Rooted in Catholicism, some readers—notably eventual fans—mention a moment’s hesitation before diving into the book. But parts of the author’s heritage and religious history are blended well into Mica’s story. The setting, a directly related element to the author as well, is described in an intimately familiar way that brings the story more to life. 

Breakup from Hell is a story that most are able to agree seemed promising enough to draw readers in. However, for some, it fell short, though others felt it matched the energy of its conception. In 300 pages, though not the most entertaining read, Breakup from Hell is less likely to be a book to regret reading than one that readers wouldn’t support further.