• April 26 is a bad weather make-up day (if needed)
  • Prom tickets are on sale, and the dance is on April 13

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/21 is varsity girls’ golfer, sophomore Olivia Murphy.
Featured Athlete: Olivia Murphy
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing golf? Murphy:...

View All
Upcoming Games
Liberty
Memorial
Apr 16 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Lebanon Trail
Apr 17 /6:30 / Softball
Liberty
did not qualify
Region II-5A Tournament
Apr 17 / Girls Golf
Liberty
Memorial
Apr 19 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Regional 2-5A Championships
Apr 19 / Track and Field
Liberty
Centennial
Apr 23 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Centennial
Apr 25 /7:30 / Baseball
April 16 Daily Update
April 16 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 16, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements including battle of the books, Red Rhythm Spring Show, and today's sports.

Martial arts training helps senior find confidence

At+eleven+years+old%2C+senior+Saanvi+Bhasin+explores+her+passion+for+martial+arts%2C+eventually+earning+a+second+degree+black+belt+in+taekwondo.+
provided by Saanvi Bhasin
At eleven years old, senior Saanvi Bhasin explores her passion for martial arts, eventually earning a second degree black belt in taekwondo.

She put on her first dobok, traditional taekwondo wear, when she was 7-years-old. She glanced around the dojo in excitement as she saw more experienced students practicing. She had a gut feeling – she was going to like this class.

Now a high school senior, Saanvi Bhasin is a certified second degree black belt in taekwondo.

“Taekwondo was a pretty big part of my childhood,” she said. “Since I went so often, it just became a part of my weekly routine, and my week didn’t feel complete without it.”

A big part of taekwondo but one of Saanvi’s least favorite elements is sparring, a form of training in combat and martial arts that requires one to face an opponent and use their skills to win a supervised match or fight.

“It was really challenging at times and felt impossible to win when I thought I was at a disadvantage,” Saanvi said.

Still, Saanvi pushed herself and eventually found something she really enjoyed within the art.

“My favorite thing about taekwondo is the kicks.” she said. “I love how unique each kick is, and how cool they look. They can be utilized in so many different ways, depending on the scenario.”

While some might be nervous that their little girl could get hurt training in the martial arts, her mother, Ritu Bhasin, was confident that Saanvi could hold her own.

“I felt very proud seeing my daughter excel in taekwondo. I had no concerns because I saw she was having fun,” Ritu said. “I thought it was a good skill to learn, and loved seeing her progress in each belt. She never gave up.”

Although taekwondo can be challenging, Saanvi remembers feeling welcome more than anything else.

“The instructors always helped their students reach their full potential,” she said. “It was a very friendly and encouraging environment.”

Saanvi has since put taekwondo on hold, but she feels her training has provided her with a skill that will last a lifetime.

“I got my second degree black belt and still remember everything I learned in that class.” she said. “I’m so glad I stuck with it, because now I have skills that I can use for the rest of my life. I can confidently say that the years of work were worth it.”