Opinion: The downfall of group projects

Group projects can be a good thing in the eyes of guest contributor Dea-Mallika Divi, but when someone in the group doesnt do their part, the rest of the group often pays the price.

Jay Schlaegel

Group projects can be a good thing in the eyes of guest contributor Dea-Mallika Divi, but when someone in the group doesn’t do their part, the rest of the group often pays the price.

Dea-Mallika Divi, Guest Contributor

Group projects are great opportunities to collaborate and learn valuable skills. Students learn how to work with others and figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are. Although most of the members get their work done on time, there is always that one person who constantly comes up with ridiculous excuses when asked why their work isn’t done or why they are goofing off when they are supposed to be working.

These are the students that are almost never on task in class. They come prepared with a justification for their pointless actions. The most famous one being, “I’ll do it at home, don’t worry”. In the best case scenario, they end of procrastinating and actually end up finishing their portion of the work the night before it is due. But usually one of the other team members ends up shouldering the responsibility to finish the slackers work on top of their duties, and the slacker gets away with it.

This kind of person can inflict unneeded stress, anger and frustration among other group members. The other members already deal with lots of tension from other classes and home; the last thing they need is an inconsiderate peer who doesn’t do their work. Slackers pay no heed to the emotional toll the other members pay due to their laziness.

We all know that one person who monkeys around, some may even be the monkey. They don’t get their work done, cause unwanted stress and overall just destroy the whole “teamwork makes the dream work” feeling in group projects.

Don’t be that one person who never gets their work done. You just end up aggravating everyone in your group and your teacher. Just get your work done in class and goof off at home; it makes everyone’s life so much better when group projects are announced.