• April 26 is a bad weather make-up day (if needed)
  • Prom tickets are on sale, and the dance is on April 13

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/21 is varsity girls’ golfer, sophomore Olivia Murphy.
Featured Athlete: Olivia Murphy
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing golf? Murphy:...

View All
Upcoming Games
Liberty
Memorial
Apr 16 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Lebanon Trail
Apr 17 /6:30 / Softball
Liberty
did not qualify
Region II-5A Tournament
Apr 17 / Girls Golf
Liberty
Memorial
Apr 19 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Regional 2-5A Championships
Apr 19 / Track and Field
Liberty
Centennial
Apr 23 /7:30 / Baseball
Liberty
Centennial
Apr 25 /7:30 / Baseball
April 16 Daily Update
April 16 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 16, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements including battle of the books, Red Rhythm Spring Show, and today's sports.

From football fields to music fields: marching band showcase

• Band will be taking a break from football and will be taking on the field for Tuesday’s Annual Frisco ISD Marching Band Showcase at the Ford Center from 6:30-9:30 p.m. The showcase of this year’s show, “A Common Thread,” will be an opportunity for the band to display their talent in front of the district’s 11 other schools.

• With the football team set to take the field at Toyota Stadium, drum major Hannah Lee gets the Redhawks band ready.

• With the Soccer Hall of Fame framing one end of Toyota Stadium, and the cheerleaders and Red Rhythm on the field ready to welcome the football team, band members make final game night preparations.

• Able to wear their polo shirts at a football games when the temperatures are still high, saxophone players and the rest of the band will be in full contest uniforms for the Marching Band Showcase.

• Playing in the stands is different from what the band will be doing at Tuesday’s Marching Band Showcase where the Redhawks will perform its UIL halftime show.

• Helping to get things started at Toyota Stadium, the percussion section establishes a beat with the rest of the band soon joining in.

• Arriving on the scene at a football game, band members are directed to where they need to go.

Football is being put to the sidelines, and marching bands will be taking the field at Tuesday’s Annual Frisco ISD Marching Band Showcase at the Ford Center from 6:30-9:30 p.m.

“The showcase itself is just another mile marker embedded into the competitive season,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “For us, the Showcase is more like ‘Tuesday, but with an audience.’”

Working on this year’s show, “A Common Thread,” since mid-July, Tuesday’s band showcase serves as an opportunity to display their talent in front of the district’s 11 other schools.

“You perform it in front of every other Frisco high school, so it’s a big reputation thing. It’s like bragging rights,” senior Maggie Wang said. “So, sometimes it means more than actual competitions. Because this is the first time you perform the show to every high school, there’s a lot of student judgment.”

However, the Redhawks are confident their rehearsal will pay off.

“I feel like we’ll do really good,” freshman Nash Pulley said. “We’ve put in a lot of work, and it’s really showing because we’ve almost finished the whole show just in rehearsal. On Saturday will be your first competition to show how good we are, and then we’ll put that forward.”

The competition can help students become better at performing their show, but it can also provide valuable lessons that can be applied later in life.

“Resilience in preparation becomes a major component. Just this week, we talked about the only two choices you get after you complete something – REPAIR it if you didn’t like the outcome, or REPEAT it if you did like the outcome,” Weaver said. “Our entire lives will be spent either repairing or repeating.”

View Comments (1)