March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements...

The Weekly: spring fashion

March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • March 1, 2024

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements including FISD's job fair, NHS applications and this week's edition of Real Talk.

Featured Athlete: Kayla Winter

Provided by Kayla Winter
Wingspan’s featured athlete for 10/19 is varsity cross country runner, senior Kayla Winter.

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating in cross country?

Winter: “I started participating in cross country mid-season my junior year. While in track off-season, Coach [Khera] Vay wanted me to try it out and I stuck to it.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about cross country?

Winter: “My favorite part about cross country is the bonds I´ve made with my teammates. We are always cheering each other on and helping each other through hard workouts.”

Wingspan: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Winter: “My biggest inspiration is Coach Vay because she always believes in us and pushes us to be our best. She is a great role model of what a good person and good athlete looks like.”

Wingspan: How have you been preparing/practicing this season?

Winter: “We have been practicing this season about six days a week. We are usually running five of those days and either swimming or biking the other day. We have been emphasizing recovery this season through a post-run routine, ice baths, and getting treatment from Coach Morton as needed.”

Wingspan: What is your goal for this season?

Winter: “My goal for this season is to finish strong by making it to state as a team. Individually, my goal is to run a sub 21 minute 5k.”

Wingspan: How has cross country impacted your life?

Winter: “The cross country program has impacted my life by showing me there is a place for everyone. This program has been so welcoming to me since the beginning and it has become my home.”

Wingspan: What has been your biggest challenge that you have had to overcome participating in cross country, and what is one that you still face?

Winter: “The biggest challenge I’ve had to overcome in the cross country program is having to catch up after joining mid-season last year. All of my teammates had been training for about three months, and I had never run cross country before, so I had to work hard to get my varsity spot. A challenge I still face is my mentality during races, because it is really easy to have negative thoughts when I’m running hard and in pain.”

Wingspan: What are you excited about this season?

Winter: “This season, I’m excited that I get to run at regionals with my friends and hopefully go to state as well.”

Wingspan: What are your future plans for cross country?

Winter: “I do not plan to run cross country beyond high school, so this season will be the end of the sport for me. I do plan to keep running on my own, though.”