Early decision: to bind or not to bind?

Maya Silberman
Early decision applications were due Wednesday. For some students, early decision is a shot to get into a dream school, such as Columbia (pictured) or Harvard, but for others, it is a way to find the right fit and relax for the rest of the year.

The fall semester is filled with college applications for many seniors on campus, with the first deadline for both Early Action and Early Decision applications on Wednesday.

The two application types are similar, with one notable difference: early decision is binding, whereas early action is not. The early decision process starts for many students by figuring out their top choice schools.

There’s no such thing as a perfect college, and there are many options out there that would be a great fit for any student,

— College admissions advisor, Alisa Hauser

“There’s no such thing as a perfect college, and there are many options out there that would be a great fit for any student,” college admissions advisor Alisa Hauser said. “Consider everything from school size to location to cost to available majors to campus atmosphere. Keep an open mind, explore all options, and talk to people who know you well.”

Narrowed in on a few factors was key for senior Shruti Bhoyar when deciding where to apply.

“The most important factors to me when I applied to schools was the quality of their business program, job placement after graduation, location, and relative size,” Bhoyar said. “These really mattered to me because I wanted the schools on my list to reflect the kind of education I could see helping me after I graduate.”

Early decision is a path only some students go down, for a variety of reasons. One of which is the binding nature of the application. Once a student is accepted under early decision, they must attend the college, unless they are offered a financial aid package that is considered inadequate for the family.

To Hauser, there are a few factors she thinks students should meet when applying via early decision.

“You may apply if you are totally in love with the college and would absolutely attend if accepted, done thorough research and can name at least five clear, specific reasons why the college is a perfect match for you, visited the campus and know you could be happy there,” Hauser said. “Also, if your grades, extracurricular activity profile, and the support from school or counselor are such that you believe you have a reasonable chance of getting in.”

While the binding aspect of early decision can be daunting, there are clear benefits to the process, according to Bhoyar.

“I think some of the benefits people often talk about is that it’s slightly less competitive because there will be a smaller pool of people applying,” she said. “But the biggest benefit to me is that it shows your commitment and excitement for that particular institution.”

For class of 2023 graduate Sherry Hu, early decision was the right choice for her for a few reasons.

“I applied early decision because I knew NYU was one of my top schools and I’d be happy going there,” Hu said. “If you don’t need or are not eligible for financial aid, I would 100% recommend early decision for the ease of mind alone.”

Early decision applications cut students’ time to prepare down by roughly two months.

“I remember putting the last touches on my early decision application in my Halloween costume,” Hu said.

I was relaxed because I had known which college I would be attending since before winter break,

— Class of 2023 graduate, Sherry Hu

But while the application deadline is earlier, so are the results. 

“Applying early decision made the rest of my senior year easier,” Hu said. “While all my friends were stressing over college apps during winter break, I was enjoying my surprise vacation in New York. In April, when they were worried about what school to attend/waitlists, I was relaxed because I had known which college I would be attending since before winter break.”

With the stress of applications, Hauser’s advice is to stay true to yourself throughout your essays.

“Students who apply early decision are usually well matched academically,” she said. “Remember, schools are looking for good humans as well as strong students, so take advantage of your personal statement and supplemental essays as a way to show them who you are, what you value, and the impact you’ll make on campus.”