Peeking at the future

College visits give students a chance to get a feel for a school

Posing between the OU letters and her expected graduation year, junior Mallory Reed made her college visit to Norman, OK.

provided by Mallory Reed

Olivia Kirklin, Staff Reporter

After the end of the four years of high school, students are faced with the decision of picking a new place to call home. For those continuing their education, picking the right college can be a difficult process as there are thousands to choose from. Getting to know the campus during a visit can help to make deciding less difficult.

“It’s critical students go on college visits in order to know whether it’ll be a good fit for them. Many times students apply to colleges they’ve never visited and realize later that perhaps they made the wrong decision,” counselor Alma Campo said. “Students have to make sure there are organizations and other interests on the college campus that will help them establish friendships and make being away from home a little easier.”

In essence, college visits are a look into the future for students.

“I’ve been on a lot of college visits, and the basic process is a tour of the campus, classrooms, and dorms, and you’re given information about classes,” junior Mallory Reed said. “It’s exciting to get to see what your future could look like at each place.”

Online it may be difficult to determine the true feel of the college, but a visit allows students to dive deeper into what a given college is all about.

“College visits have helped me in deciding where to go because you get to see if the college’s traditions and values match your own,” junior Zach Meade said. “You’ll get a special feeling when you know it’s the right campus for you.”