April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Artistic Expressions: Stephanie Okorie

provided by Stephanie Okorie
Staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar sits down with sophomore Stephanie Okorie to discuss her choir journey.

Name: Stephanie Okorie

Grade: Sophomore

Wingspan: How did you become interested in singing and joining choir?

Okorie: “I became interested in singing after a long time of singing on the car ride home every day as well as attending weekly music lessons throughout elementary and middle school. After moving schools near the end of 8th grade, I was very limited in elective choices, so I chose choir and fell in love. Everyone was so kind and I loved learning the technique needed to perform well!”

Wingspan: Can you describe the role of a choir member and what it entails?

Okorie: “Currently, I am the historian who runs social media. The role of my fellow choir members is to not only sing but to make the space a comfortable atmosphere for everyone to express themselves, whether through singing or the many class jokes going around. Choir members support each other resulting in a lot of fun!!”

Wingspan: How often does the choir rehearse, and how do you prepare for performances?

Okorie: “Since choir is a class we rehearse during class every day along with advisory rehearsals to combine choirs together since there are three, el canto which is for beginner female singers, cambiata which is the men’s choir and bella voce, the varsity choir for female singers and the one I’m in.”

Wingspan: What do you find most rewarding about being a part of a choir?

Okorie: “The most rewarding part about being in choir would have to be the amazing people I meet through all of the region concerts and cluster concerts we attend and in my class everyday!  Having choir class feels like a break from school where I can truly do something I enjoy without the stress of tests and homework.  Watching my voice progress and grow throughout the year is pretty cool too!”

Wingspan: Could you share a memorable performance or experience with the choir that stands out to you?

Okorie: “A memorable performance for me in choir was during our Disney Themed Spring Show where I had a solo as Ursula.  I remember being up at 11pm trying to turn my submission in on time since I decided to audition last minute and I actually got it!  Being able to perform as a character and tap into my theater background while doing choir was an amazing feeling!”

Wingspan: What advice would you give to someone who is considering joining a choir for the first time?

Okorie: “The advice I would give to anyone considering joining choir for the first time is to just do it! Whether you have real training or not, by the end of the year you’ll feel like a professional because Ms. [Toni] Ugolini is a phenomenal teacher!  My honest best advice would be to just sing and do it loud enough to be heard because you finally break out of the shy singing that’s when real improvement happens!!”