Jazz Band to perform spring concert

The concert will include many ensembles but focus on Jazz Band that will begin and end the performance.

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

Jazz Band and other ensembles are gearing up to perform their Spring Swing concert on Saturday, May 14 at 7 p.m. for friends, families, and other community members.

“It is medium to small ensembles, and the largest group that plays is our two Jazz bands,” Band director Marty Ball. “Most of the other groups are quintets and trios. We call it the Swing concert because the Jazz Band is the main performers. They are the biggest draw. The Jazz Band kicks off everything at 6 p.m. and then they also close off the show at 9 p.m.”

The concert will be in the cafeteria as well as the lecture hall. There will be three stages in the cafeteria rotating performances regularly and one stage in the lecture hall.

“The concert is mostly in the cafeteria, but we have so many ensembles combined that there is a group that will be performing in the lecture hall,” Ball said. “So there will be music constantly because a stage will always have someone performing at it in the cafeteria.”

They will be performing songs from Disney and the Office theme song but will also be playing classical performances and jazz.

“I am performing along with one of the ensembles,” Sophomore band student Meghana Rao said via text message. “I like the concert because it is many mini concerts and a sax group is playing bohemian Rhapsody, so it is really diverse and cool.”

The kids have primarily been working independently on their performances outside of class.

“I love seeing the kids work together like they have,” Ball said. “So much of what we do is in class and is all directed and taught by us, but the students have really independently rehearsing and practiced. They have been working very hard for the concert and hopefully their performances will show that.”