Opinion: School bus etiquette

Along with the labor shortage across the country, Frisco ISD is also in need of bus drivers and monitors. To those interested, FISD is hosting a job fair on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Prachurjya Shreya, Guest Contributor

After school, students are scrambling to get home as fast as possible these last few weeks. No where is this more apparent than behind the school where at least 10 school buses line up awaiting the rush of students.

However, in the rush to get home chaos often ensues. But by following some simple rules, getting home can be fast and safe.

1. When the buses pull up, avoid rushing towards the door. This is a safety concern. Students should wait until the bus comes to a complete stop to avoid potential injuries.
  2. After the bus stops, the doors will open and that is when students should get into a single file line, or at least try to. When everyone tries to get on the bus at the same time things actually go slower.
  3. When a student is on the bus, they should be considerate of other people. Bus seats are made for two people. Don’t get on the bus and put your backpack in the seat. On days when the buses reach maximum capacity, a backpack on the seat can prevent someone from having a seat.
  4. Once you get a seat, think about personal space. Everyone has their own boundaries and when sitting next to someone, don’t cross any lines. Respect the person next to you.
  5. School buses aren’t that big, but they can get incredibly loud when everyone is talking and trying to be heard over everybody else. Bring the volume down a few notches and it will be appreciated by all.
  6. Don’t leave trash behind. If you bring something on the bus, take it with you when you get off. There’s no reason the bus driver should pick up after you.

The rush to get home can be hectic, but with everyone helping out, it can be a smoother process.