• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

Softball seeks to continue their win streak

Laurel Glatch
Building their reputation over break after two wins, the Redhawks softball team takes on Walnut Grove Monday at the Nest. “Walnut Grove is going to be good competition tonight,” head coach Baylea Higgs said.

Coming off two back-to-back wins over spring break, Redhawk softball hits the field against the Walnut Grove Wildcats at the Nest Monday night at 6:30 pm.

“Walnut Grove is going to be good competition tonight, I am excited to see how we will respond to a really good team,” head coach Baylea Higgs said. “Even though they’re a brand new school I’m expecting them to be solid and competitive.”

According to Higgs, the coach at Walnut Grove is a former coach at another Frisco ISD school within District 10-5A.

“They’re going to have a solid team, the coach there now was at Heritage [High School] last year and he tends to have a really good program with strong athletes,” she said.

Higgs hopes the team manages to play a strong game, despite the incoming competition from Prosper ISD.

“Responding to adversity, making sure we’re not getting down and we are always in the game mentally and physically,” Higgs said. “A strength of ours tonight will likely be timely hitting and playing a strong defense behind our pitcher tonight.”

According to freshman Anna Reeves, she feels confident and excited for Monday’s game, hoping to defeat the new competition.

“I’m pretty excited about the game because we just came off of a really good week and won two games in a row. I think we need to carry the energy from last week into this game tonight,” Reeves said.

The team is going into the game prepared and positive, according to Reeves, aiming for a Redhawk victory.

“We’re prepared to come in hitting strong and being ready for anything, since they’re an offensively strong team,” she said. “We really need to stay strong on defense and get a good rally going on offense.”