• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

View All
May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

Finding success despite loss, softball’s winning streak snapped

Addy Schick
Falling 10-4 to Walnut Grove, the softball team still saw some success according to head coach Baylea Higgs. “We responded to adversity, which was one of my goals for the team going into this game, and we had handled ourselves on defense pretty well,” Higgs said. “Walnut Grove is easily the best team in the district, and being able to hold them at 10 runs is a pretty good stat, having a smaller team.”

Their win streak snapped by the Walnut Grove Wildcats, the Redhawks softball team still had a successful game against on Monday night, despite losing 10-4, according to head coach Baylea Higgs.

“We responded to adversity, which was one of my goals for the team going into this game, and we had handled ourselves on defense pretty well,” Higgs said. “Walnut Grove is easily the best team in the district, and being able to hold them at 10 runs is a pretty good stat, having a smaller team.”

Higgs believes the game was a positive learning experience, regardless of the result, though the team still could’ve played better.

“Our biggest weaknesses were not executing in helping our pitcher out, not utilizing the umpire’s tight strike zone, and not hitting every chance we got,” Higgs said.

The highlight of the game was a Redhawks home run, which gave the team motivation to keep playing strong, according to Higgs.

“We had a huge three-run home run from [junior] Madison Terry in the fifth inning which gave us a lot of momentum, and we managed to hit strong off of a faster pitcher,” she said.

The game was a positive experience for Terry and believes the team is taking the loss well.

“We played well and stayed together as a team and really competed, we just ended up falling short, but I think the game was a good learning opportunity for us as a team,” Terry said. “We did really well at being able to see the pitches at the plate and we fouled off a lot of balls which is pretty good.” 

Terry thinks the team will grow from this game, and that they aim to compete better against them in the next round.

“As individuals, we did get a couple of strong hits in,” Terry said. “But as a team we needed to string our hits together more to score more runs, which I think we will do better next time we play them.”