Spring scrimmage Thursday

For weeks the football team has been practicing to get ready for the 2016 season. Spring practice concludes Thursday with an intrasquad scrimmage.

@coachswinnea

Arman Kafai, Lead Sports Reporter

One day after 2016-17 season tickets went on sale, the football team will hold its spring scrimmage Thursday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. on the turf field. Practicing for several weeks, spring ball give the coaches and the team a glance at the players and how they fit into schemes for the upcoming season.

“Spring’s been great,” head coach Chris Burtch said. “It’s always a little bit of a transition every year. Every year seniors graduate and every year juniors have to step up or sophomores have to step up. It’s just part of being in high school football. The spring transitions been really good.”

A big change for the team will be the switch at coordinators, as offensive coordinator Wes Cowling is leaving. Defensive coordinator Matt Swinnea will switch to offense and position coach Brandon Gonzales will take over on the defensive side.

“The change with the coordinators is the big one,” Burtch said. “The deal is that they have to be willing to trust the coaching staff and trust their teammates that we’re going to get the job done and put them in a position to be successful. The transition is about trust. Do you trust your coach and staff and do you trust  your teammates and if so, then everything will work out.”