ISM students set to showcase final products Friday

Final Presentation Night is Friday where ISM students will showcase their work from the year.

Halle Barham

Students in the Independent Study and Mentorship program will display the work they have done throughout the year at Friday’s Final Presentation Night from 6-8:30 p.m. in the cafeteria and school classrooms.

“I feel very excited for tonight,” ISM director Brian Wysong said. “It’s an opportunity for our students to showcase what they have done all year, show everyone how hard they have worked and all the things they have accomplished since day one of this year.”

ISM students have spent the entire school year honing their professional skills and learning from their mentors about what their fields of study entail through various assignments.

It’s an opportunity for our students to showcase what they have done all year

— ISM director Brian Wysong

“This year, just like every year, has been great,” Wysong said. “It has had its highs and its lows but I believe all the students have gained a lot of knowledge in their field, have learned more about who they are, as well as become better as it relates to public speaking skills, communication skills, and are more prepared for where they want to go in the future.”

Fields of study range from photography to pastoral ministry with each student focused on a topic that puts their work to test in real world situations.

“For my Final Product, I’m doing Pediatric Oncology,” senior Aryce Battle said. “I’ve been working with some oncology patients so I created a toy drive that I collected toys for from the community and I am going to donate it to the hospital next week.”

Most ISM students are confident in the skills that have helped them prepare for Final Presentation Night.

ISM has helped show me that I am capable of so many different things that I am sort of unaware of

— senior Rithwik Terala

“I feel very confident, I feel ready and prepared as I’ve prepared all this year, and I’m ready to showcase what I have learned,” senior Rithwik Terala said. “ISM has helped show me that I am capable of so many different things that I am sort of unaware of. I learned how to showcase myself in a very professional manner.”

As the 2015-16 program and school year come to an end, Wysong hopes his students realize the value of the dedication they have put in all year.

“I want the students to see that all their stress, hard work, sacrifice has been well worth it. I want them to go home tonight and be very proud of themselves and the process they went through,” Wysong said. “I want them to make their mentors proud and I want their mentors to go back to the Dallas/Fort Worth area bragging about how great our Liberty High School students are and how the ISM program is fantastic.”