From Michael to Marvin, choir covers it all

Caitlyn Kleibert

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

From The Beatles to Michael Jackson, Thursday’s final choir concert of the year will feature an array of solos.

“I don’t have a particular title for the concert,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said. “But the music is somewhat revolved around the music of our lives. We are doing the Way of the World by Michael Jackson, Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye, varsity is singing four Beatles songs and we are doing a few pieces from our UIL set.”

The choir students have been practicing the set list every class period and have been working on this concert since UIL Choir ended in March.

“For any concert this is more of a lax set but I usually do this for the end of the year concert,” Stevenson said. “Things haven’t been to intense since UIL, but the style changes sometimes with the more fun songs in when they sound too much like a choir so that has been the only parts we have had to work on.”

For choir members, the concert is the chance to hear voices on a more personal level.

“My favorite part has been hearing the individual performances,” choir student Kirsten Malari. “I love to hear all of the individual different voices that make up our choir.”

The final song of the concert is a piece from the new testament from the gospel of John. The choir goes to the rotunda and they stand in a circle with all of the audience surrounding them.

“I think it allows them to sing their most beautiful,” Stevenson said. “It is not accompanied and it is just the beauty of their voices and that’s the last song they perform together in the concert. The hallway just beautifully carries their voices, so I love that song.”