Volleyball continues district prep Tuesday

The volleyball team has been practicing since Aug. 1 to get ready for the start of district play on Sept. 9 against Wakeland. The team travels to Lewisville Tuesday for a non-district game.

Eilidh McGarva

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

Volleyball has been practicing since early August and now that school has started, things are ramping up. Tuesday, the team continues with the non-district portion of its schedule as it travels to Lewisville High School to take on the Farmers, just one of many games to get ready for the start of district play Sept. 9 against Wakeland High School.

“Since we see so many different teams, we get to defend a lot of different styles,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said. “Which means we’ll most likely see similar things as in our district opponents.”

During the pre-district part of the season, wins and losses don’t affect the team’s district standing, which means they can try new players on the court and decide what works best before it counts.

“The games are very important because it allows us to build team chemistry, and see who works well together on the court and what rotations work best for us,” Womble said. “Our main focus  is working on our side of the court.”

The non-district portion of the schedule helps create good relationships on the court which is important to the success of the team.

“The games are so important because obviously we have new people on the team,” senior Delanie Lewis said. “So it kinda helps us bond and get to know each other and to get the feel of how we need to play together to be successful in the season.”