Tourism project launches freshmen into AP world

Working in small groups, AP Human Geography students spent part of their class period Wednesday working on tourism commercials. 

“It gives them a short amount of time to do a finished product and it really helps them understand how to finish a task in a certain amount of time,” teacher Tim Johannes said.

Eilidh McGarva

Working in small groups, AP Human Geography students spent part of their class period Wednesday working on tourism commercials. “It gives them a short amount of time to do a finished product and it really helps them understand how to finish a task in a certain amount of time,” teacher Tim Johannes said.

Prachurjya Shreya, Staff Reporter

AP Human Geography quickly got to work this year. On Wednesday students lined the social studies hall for a group project designed to allow students to interact with their peers while simultaneously getting to know course material better.

“Students in 9th grade that take this class really don’t have a lot concept about what it takes that we are doing to be an AP student so this an activity we are doing,” teacher Tim Johannes said.

The project is a way to expose students to certain concepts of human geography.

“We are making tourism commercials,” Rose said. “We chose Sweden so we are creating an imovie about the five most popular tourist attractions with some background information.”

Johannes believes the project is a good way to start the year by giving students perspective on the course and its pace.

“It gives them a short amount of time to do a finished product and it really helps them understand how to finish a task in a certain amount of time,” Johannes said. “It’s a little bit of stress. Working together is always interesting with the kids too. It definitely sets the stage for them to be successful the rest of the year.”