Opinion: calendars keep students on track

A class calendar can help keep students on track and help minimize excuses writes editor-in-chief Megan Lin.

Megan Lin

Megan Lin, Editor-in-chief

Students are given a wide range of sources to assist them in their learning, such as textbooks, dictionaries, thesauri, and computers as well. Another common source provided by teachers is a calendar where students can view an outline of the daily agenda.

Such a calendar is great for students who are absent and can view what they missed that day instead of coming back to school confused and frazzled.

Despite its many benefits, not all teachers utilize student calendars, which may be surprising to some. Personally, I feel incredibly anxious when some of my classes don’t have calendars, mainly because I’m a neat freak. However, calendars can not only serve as a reassurance for enthusiastic organizers, but also as a way to hold students responsible for work they may have missed.

Sometimes students use the excuse of not knowing what the assignment was or when it was due to justify not doing something that was due the day they get back. These situations are often frustrating to teachers who have to manage a lot of things at once and unfair to students that turn things in on time.

Calendars reduce possible misconceptions about homework and project due dates and hold students accountable as well as provide an outline of the week for students who like to plan ahead.

Not only that, they inform students of upcoming quizzes and tests. Sometimes teachers forget to tell their classes about the next period’s quiz, and the calendar can be a great reference to ensure people know about upcoming grades and can study for that.

Whichever perspective you look at, student calendars are a great resource for students and teachers, and should be used in every class.