School board begins 2017-18 budget process

Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon and school board president Anne McCausland sit on the dais during a Frisco ISD Board of Trustees meeting earlier this year.  The public portion of Mondays meeting begins at 7:30 p.m.

Wade Glover

Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon and school board president Anne McCausland sit on the dais during a Frisco ISD Board of Trustees meeting earlier this year. The public portion of Monday’s meeting begins at 7:30 p.m.

Wade Glover, WTV Staff Reporter

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees held its monthly meeting Monday night. The meeting touched on a variety of topics including how the district will respond financially to its projected $30 million budget shortfall in 2017-18 after voters rejected a tax increase.

“The vision is to fund high-priority areas that have the greatest impact on students and to reduce or eliminate spending in lower-priority areas,” Chief Financial Officer Kimberly Pickens said in a statement on the budget development process.

Beyond the budget, the meeting featured several individual accolades. One of the first things  was student recognition for outstanding performance on the SAT and ACT tests with seniors Ethan Kim, Prateek Sangineni and Bill Wang among those honored for receiving perfect ACT scores.

Also on hand was senior student ambassador Josh Rubio who spoke about the student ambassador program.

The board is scheduled to meet again on Oct. 17.