New goals spur choir

Nailing each note is the goal of choir singers Rishab Nayar and Andrea Cobos as they prepare to continue the audition process for All-State.

Brian Higgins

Brooke Colombo, News Editor

The choir programs kick off the year with added performance dates and new goals in mind.

Choir Director Bruce Stevenson said that he hopes his students will be dedicated to the program and will do their best to improve themselves as a part of a choir and as an individual performer.

“I’m looking for us to really develop strong choral singers who are interested in musical excellence and choral excellence who really desire to grow in what they do and take big steps in being in a choir and being singers,” Stevenson said. “That’s kind of unmeasurable in some ways, but take where we are now and keep stepping and improving in reading and intonation and in our ensemble.”

The choir program has added additional concerts on October 18, December 8, March 28, and May 23. The choir also plans to visit middle schools and possibly go caroling during the holiday season. Stevenson said that his goal this year is to showcase the choir’s skills more throughout the year.

“I want to do more this year in getting our choir out singing and doing what they’re here to do, which is be a performing group,” Stevenson said. “Our purposes are best served when we can perform what it is we’ve been.”

Students like senior Emily Swinnea said they were also enthusiastic about the new opportunities to perform and more serious dynamic that Stevenson will be implementing this year.

“I think it’ll be nice to have some more structure,” Swinnea said. “It’s not going to be as free floating as it was last year.”