Opinion: Policy for success

According to Staff Reporter Prachurjya Shreya, the BYOD policy is essential to students success in school.

Megan Lin

According to Staff Reporter Prachurjya Shreya, the BYOD policy is essential to students’ success in school.

Prachurjya Shreya, Staff Reporter

“Put your phones up.”

Almost all teachers enforce BYOD; while some teachers are lenient, others have a stricter policy. In many of the math classes on campus, the teachers enforce a stricter side of the policy. To exchange your phones for a calculator is sometimes a norm in math classes. Other math teachers want to prevent distractions in the class.

In my experience in both Pre-AP Geometry and Pre-AP Algebra II, I have had to to put up my phone. By putting up my phone, it has helped me focus in class and not worry about checking my phone every five minutes. Many students get frustrated when teachers make them put up their phones but when it comes to math, every step is essential. By missing one step in math, a student can have misunderstandings about the topic. Since teachers want all students to do well on quizzes and tests, taking up their phone is a very helpful decision.

In other classes, it’s easy to miss information if teachers don’t enforce a strict phone policy. I know for a fact that if I have my phone, I will have the urge to check my notifications. Taking five minutes to check your phone may not seem like a big deal, but in those five minutes the teacher might’ve covered information that is vital to your grade.

Sometimes it’s a common sight to see students simultaneously working and being on their phone in class. Although it might seem like a “mind your own business” sort of thing, it’s not. Psychologically, when you see someone else on their phone, you get this feeling of being left out. As a result, you feel compelled to check your phone as well.

Some people hide their device when teachers ask for phones. This is disrespectful to the teachers and only prevents one’s understanding of the class or subject. Furthermore, students have a misconception of the BYOD policy. The policy is in place to help students, not harm them. By going against the policy, it prevents one to achieve their full potential.

Many view the BYOD policy as “dumb” or “unfair,” but just giving up your phone for an hour and half will not do any harm to your social life. Although it may seem unjust, in the long run, the policy will help a student do better on quizzes and tests.