Best Buddies mixing it up

In its second year on campus, Best Buddies is devoted to establishing one to one friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities on campus through matching students and hosting events.

Sydney Gish, Guest Contributor

The Best Buddies Club is hosting the annual mixer for students to get to know one another through team activities on Friday from 4:20 to 5:50 p.m.

“The mixer is here to introduce people to each other. It’s kind of a getting to know you event at the beginning of the year so old friends can reestablish relationships and the new members can come in and get to know some of the people and some of the buddies,” club advisor Suzanne Shuping said. “This school year I hope to see more events happening and more people getting involved. Last year was really great and we had a lot of good things going on, so I want to see the club grow more.”

In addition to the mixer introducing students to the club, there will be food, crafts, and group games to “break the ice” between new members and start establishing friendships.

“Last year I really enjoyed getting to meet new people at the mixer,” sophomore Sarah Kleyman said. “My favorite part was making crafts, cookies, and memories that will last a lifetime.”

Over 100 students joined the club last year with the mixer setting the tone for how the whole year would go.

“The mixer is important because we see the chemistry forming and it’s also how we feel out who’s going to be matched,” president Rylee McHenry said. “This is really one of the only clubs on campus that formulates inclusion and friendships for people that can’t always do that themselves, so without that we would be lacking the positivity of this club.”