Opinion: Dropping classes is okay

Guest contributer Sindhuja Pannuri shares her thoughts on the level of importance SAT scores have on college admissions. However, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, colleges have shifted their focus away from SAT scores.

Megan Lin

Prachurjya Shreya, Staff Reporter

As the first six weeks is coming to an end, the question of dropping AP and Pre-AP classes comes into play. Many students view dropping classes as a sign of weakness. However it is quite the opposite. If you feel the need to drop a class then do it for yourself. Don’t stay in the class because you want to prove to yourself that you can do it, as your GPA may suffer.

Rather than being stressed all the time and pulling continuous all-nighters, dropping is a better option. If you find yourself drowning in work, unable to function like an actual human being, that is an indication to drop a class. Your health comes before your grades. Many teachers don’t understand that just like them, we also need 7-8 hours of sleep. In AP classes, there is immense amounts of homework. If you are committed to the subject and really believe that you can successfully complete that class, then by all means try.

The other thing students should take into consideration is their schedule. With extracurriculars, homework can be a hassle in AP classes. Take for example, a student doing volleyball and coming home every night at 10:30 p.m. and trying to finish all her homework. Almost every other day in an AP or Pre-AP class, there is a quiz or test. If one does not have time to complete the class work, they will not do well on the given assignment.

AP classes are designed to be rigorous which can challenge many students. For students looking for that challenge, the AP course is built for you. It is not dumb to drop AP and/or Pre-AP classes. What is dumb is when you find yourself exhausted needlessly. The number of AP classes on your schedule should not be a competition between the students.