School spirit expected to shine at the Ford Center

More than a month after its first game at the Ford Center, the football team returns Friday night to take on the Centennial Titans, with many students thinking it feature more school spirit.

Maddie Owens

Cathryn Reeves, Guest Contributor

The opening of the Ford Center at The Star on Aug. 27 drew national attention, but with opening day out of the way, those that play and perform at this facility expect less hype on Friday when the team returns to compete against the Centennial Titans.

“The second game at the Star should involve a lot more school spirit than the first game at home,” senior Zack Nwamadi said. “We should all be pumped up and ready to go.”

The team’s first game at the Ford Center was part of a FISD quadruple-header with many students and school supporters unable to get in as tickets were only sold as part of a package.

“I think it will have more hype because there was the issue of people not being able to get tickets to The Star because of the grand opening,” freshman cheerleader Rileigh Horcher said. “There were a bunch of students there, but there weren’t as many as there would’ve have been at a regular game. The next game will be a lot more fun because everybody can get in.”

The varsity football team plays at the Ford Center five times throughout the season and some people on campus expect the venue to feel more like as the season progresses.

“I think it will take more games for the crowd to settle down because the first game was crazy and full of energy because it was so new,” sophomore band member Josh Kong said. “Maybe by the fourth game we will feel more comfortable.”