FISD votes to delay new school openings until 2018

Sarah Philips

FISD Board members solidified the permanent rezoning of 306 students within the district.

Olivia Kirklin, Editor-in-chief

The FISD Board of Trustees voted on Monday to delay the opening of four new schools until 2018. The move is an attempt to save money after voters rejected a property tax increase in August.  

“It is not a desirable situation, but it is a way to save considerable amounts of money without negatively impacting student programs and opportunities,” Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jeremy Lyon said on the FISD website. “We have demonstrated that we have capacity by utilizing existing facilities and classroom space.”

The delay is the first step in building the budget for the 2017-18 school year.

“This delay is estimated to save the district an excess of $15 million dollars next year without eliminating a single student program or opportunity,” Lyon said in an email. “That’s why the decision was made.”

District leaders will discuss zoning changes for the 2017-18 school year at the next board meeting on Nov. 14 and will continue to make final decisions throughout December and January.

Here’s a look at the schools which will have a delayed opening:

• Memorial High School, 12300 Frisco Street; intended to relieve Wakeland, Lone Star and Heritage high schools
  • Lawler Middle School, 12921 Rolater Road; intended to relieve Vandeventer and Scoggins middle schools
  • Talley Elementary, 5900 Coit Road; intended to relieve Curtsinger and McSpedden elementary schools
  • Liscano Elementary, 11222 Mammoth Cave Lane; intended to relieve Mooneyham, Norris and Sem elementary schools