Dallas Opera to help launch next Humanities unit

Students are dressed in their best as they hang out in the lecture hall before heading out to the opera. The Tuesday evening outing is to help launch an upcoming unit in Humanities.

Eilidh McGarva and Wade Glover

First it was performing scenes from Shakespeare’s The Tempest, now on Tuesday night Humanities students will be taking a trip to the Dallas Opera for a performance of Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin.

“We are going to the opera because it is a great experience to see an art form that we are going to study in our upcoming unit Up Close and Personal,” Humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “Some things translate much better when [performed] than when read in a book.”

More than 60 students will be attending the opera, each dressed in formal attire, with many seeing an opera for the first time.

“I have never been to an opera before so I am excited for the overall performance aspect and also to see how they portray the plot and incorporate elements of music and visual effects and things like that,” sophomore Kaitlin Shin said. “I think it’s always interesting whenever we take something that is really historically significant and then turn it into something that is also an artistic work.”