Opinion: Frisco needs to slow its growth

Whether its the citys partnership with the Dallas Cowboys or the many other developments being undertaken in Frisco, guest columnist Hallie Winterbauer thinks the the city needs to slow its growth.

Whether it’s the city’s partnership with the Dallas Cowboys or the many other developments being undertaken in Frisco, guest columnist Hallie Winterbauer thinks the the city needs to slow its growth.

Hallie Winterbauer, Guest Contributor

Sitting at number six on the top 100 places to live in Texas list, Frisco is most definitely a great place to live. But with all of the construction and revamping of the land in and around the city, you can’t help but wonder if this town is developing too quickly. It is.

As of September 1, 2016 Frisco has reached a population of 157,860 people and about 53,323 of those people are FISD students. That is a lot of people for only 68.2 square miles, but there is also a lot of room for growth with 38 percent of all land inside city limits still undeveloped.

All of this construction has created several problems for the average citizen: traffic is horrendous in the afternoon, the dust is making the air even harder to breathe for those of us that have equally horrendous allergies and the constant struggle to find a decent parking space in the developing areas.

There have been twenty stand alone ER’s built in the last couple of months in Frisco. Apparently people around here are quite clumsy and even a little accident-prone. But twenty ER centers? Really?

If development continues to move along at such a fast pace, the remaining open land will be gone. And, it more and more businesses move into the area, taking up land available for housing, Frisco will no longer be the welcoming place it is for new families.  

All in all, Frisco is a wonderful place to live and grow up, but it needs to slow down on the development process before the city becomes another Allen or Plano.