Buss finds the balance

Senior juggles multiple roles as campus leader

A student of many roles, senior Grant Buss is Student Council president, starting quarterback for the football team, runs track, is in orchestra, is in NHS  and takes AP classes as well as doing other things outside of school.

Keegan Williams

A student of many roles, senior Grant Buss is Student Council president, starting quarterback for the football team, runs track, is in orchestra, is in NHS and takes AP classes as well as doing other things outside of school.

Everyone knows of the ideal high school student from the movies: popular, exceptional grades, and a leader in sports and clubs. For senior Grant Buss, this is a reality, beginning with being crowned Homecoming King.  

“It’s a blessing,” Buss said. “I don’t really know what it means to be Homecoming King except that it’s “royalty” but I was very excited to be crowned.”

Named Homecoming King, Buss poses for a picture with Queen senior Cameron Robbins.
Keegan Williams

Buss has been involved in a multitude of things since freshman year both inside and outside of school.

“Inside of school I play quarterback for the football team, I’m president of Student Council and the student body, I’m in top orchestra, playing the double bass, I run track, throw the discus, and I’m in NHS,” Buss said. “Outside of school I’m involved in the Chin Refugee Ministry where my family has adopted a refugee family from Chin State and we help them with the American way, like learning English and helping them go through school.”

Despite being labeled as a leader, Buss does more than just lead, he is sure to get involved in the dirty work too.

“Many students look up to Grant and one of the more interesting things about him is that although he is student body president, he is more than willing to get in and do work and do the dirty jobs as well as help make big decisions and be a leader,” Student Council advisor Jay Sommers said. “Grant is an extremely well rounded young man, he’s good at a lot of things, as well all know, but I think his ability to be good at football and orchestra and taking AP classes gives him a lot of credibility with other students.”

Balancing everything can be a challenge, but for Buss the key is finding a love for each activity.

“Really, each thing I do, I love it for what it is individually,” Buss said. “They are all very special to me because I like to lead groups of students, help the school, and help the community, but football is all about the brotherhood. I try to put passion in everything I do, some activities may be more demanding than others, but at the end of the day I just love to do what I do.”

Although his schedule is packed from day to day, Buss finds relaxation in the many activities that he does.

“All the activities I do, that’s kind of my outlet in a way,” Buss said. “Orchestra, is an outlet, because it’s more of a relaxing thing, whereas football is so much stress, but also it gets me away from academics and all that so I try to use my activities to my advantage.”

Senior quarterback Grant Buss receives instructions on the sidelines during a game at the Ford Center.
Maddie Owens

Being the person that can seemingly do everything can sometimes bring on negative stereotypes, but the reality is quite different according to his family.

“I think Grant’s best characteristics are that he is very calm, cool, and collected,” twin brother David Buss said. “If he’s ever nervous he doesn’t let it show as well as if he is ever discouraged. He is very humble. He has accomplished a lot and he doesn’t let it get to his head, he’s not a typical football jock.”

As a senior, Buss feels as though high school has prepared him for the future, and is ready to take the next step.

“Honestly the future doesn’t make me nervous, I feel like I’m very ready to take the next step in my life and pursue specific things instead of just being known as a very well balanced high school student,” Buss said. “I plan to go to college, get a degree, and study mechanical engineering or bioengineering. I’d like to go to business school after that and hopefully get a job at Lockheed Martin, where they make airplanes.”

At the end of the day, Buss thinks the ability to balance so many things has to go hand in hand with finding his passions.

“I feel like I try to represent the school as best I can and I hope that each student respects me for that and I hope that they will follow in my footsteps in a way, I hope I’m setting an example at least,” Buss said. “Do what you love, and do it with passion because that’s all that matters. It’s not what other people think of you, it’s not what other people want for you, do what you want to do.”