Search process for new superintendent underway

Eilidh McGarva and Maddie Owens

Brooke Colombo, News Editor

The search for a new superintendent was the focus of Monday’s Frisco ISD Board of Trustees monthly after current superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon announced his retirement effective June 30.

“[Leaving] is bittersweet because there’s no greater district that Frisco ISD and it’s amazing because of the students,” Dr. Lyon said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in all my days of education in regards to the talent of the students.”

With a little more than three months to find a replacement, the school board spent part of Monday’s meeting mapping out a plan to find Lyon’s successor.

“We’re going to engage and third party company, it’s called Center for Reform Systems,” Board of Trustees President Anne McCausland said. “They are basically coming in to do a workshop with the board to help us get all on the same page with what we should be looking for in a search firm, what maybe are some qualities that we want to consider for a superintendent.”

In his four years as superintendent, Frisco ISD has seen its enrollment grow by nearly 10,000 and averages an increase of 2,500 to 3,500 students every year.

“When I got here, this was a fast growing district and it seems somehow to be getting even faster and busier,” Dr. Lyon said. “We just need to keep our eye on the prize and that’s doing the best we can for students.”