• 14 wrestlers advance to this weekend's regional meet at Independence High School

• Swim team takes part in state meet Friday and Saturday in Austin

• Girls' basketball began playoff run with 51-42 win Monday against McKinney North

• The WTV Daily Update named Student Television Network Southwest Regional Broadcast Excellence winner for Best Daily Taped Show

Review lectures seek to help students prepare

Discussing a slide in his Thursday morning review for Friday's AP Human Geography exam, teacher Tim Johannes (back left) has been hosting reviews every day this week.

Jennifer Hernandez

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter

AP Human Geography students have the opportunity to attend lectures in the auditorium every morning this week from 8:00-8:50 a.m. to review for the AP exam in Friday.

“You just show up whenever you can, and Mr. Johannes thoroughly goes over subjects and concepts within the unit that he goes over that day,” freshman Isabella Devega said. “It’s usually one unit per session and [he] explains things that are most likely going to be in the AP Exam.”

Much of the material covered in the lectures is above and beyond what is covered in class with review books such as the Princeton Review supplementing the classroom textbook and lectures.

“Even though studying out of the review book helps, certain topics are a bit harder for me to understand,” Devega said. “It helps going go a session where I can ask questions or quickly review things I may have forgotten.”

The lectures are an effort to help students retain information for the exam that consists of multiple choice questions and free response sections.

“This prepares us by reviewing the information some of us might have forgotten from the beginning of the year,” freshman Christine Le said. “I’m going to the sessions because it helps me retain the information hearing it summarized.”

Even though students have been preparing all year for the exam, teacher Tim Johannes says the reviews are one final chance to help students.

“The process I use is that I try to find things that will help them on the test, prepare them to be successful,” Johannes said. “I encourage them to go because it’s one last effort from me and by them to give their best effort on the AP test.”