• Jostens will be on campus Wednesday to take graduation orders

• Tennis team is the area champion after beating Texas High 10-6 Thursday

Sincerely Sydney: wrong place for protest unrelated to school

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Many students, staff and community members are aware that an anti-abortion group and those opposed to their message have been in front of the school this week. Everyone has the right to protest and voice their opinion, but the way part of the protest is being conducted may not be the most effective way to inform the target audience.

While the anti-abortion group is on public property and they have the right to legally be there, some students are questioning their moral legitimacy. The purpose of students going to school is to receive an education that is condoned by their parents and this group views their protest as an opportunity for high schoolers to learn more about life choices. However, when a similar event happened at Reedy High School in the fall, there was at least one parent who voiced concern because they didn’t want their child exposed to these topics outside of the home.

In addition, one sign that has caught the eyes of many students on campus is one comparing abortion to the Holocaust, and this may not have been the best way to engage students. The Holocaust was a genocide based on annihilating those who had different religious and ethnic beliefs, or sexual orientation. Equating it with a fetus dependent on a woman’s body to survive is not an accurate comparison no matter what belief is held and can be offensive.

While the rest of the opinions expressed by the anti-abortion group is legally protected by the First Amendment, how effective is this campaign when it doesn’t affect the majority of high schooler as much as a protest about new policies, dress codes or the removal of teacher would.

While the group got the attention of some students, others may feel uncomfortable approaching unknown people holding signs with explicit images near their high school. Using terms that coincide with a specific religion, such as saying the fetuses are created by the hands of God, also makes the protest somewhat ineffective considering the school has one of the most diverse campuses and not all students follow the same religion.

Though their right to protest is protected by the First Amendment, however using graphic images and referencing offensive topics outside a high school may not be the best place for such a demonstration, regardless of the personal views someone possesses.

Sincerely,

Sydney