Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

FISD hosts Family Science Night

The first annual Family Science Night is tonight from 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. on campus.

The physics of popcorn popping, the chemistry of cotton candy and tricks on how to win carnival games will all be part of Frisco ISD‘s first annual Family Science Night on campus from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

“Family Science Night is a way that our school is getting involved with the community specifically the science departments,” earth science teacher Jamie Berendt said. “It’ll pull the community into view of our different core and elective subjects, and for them to come have some fun and have a little taste of science.”

It’ll pull the community into view of our different core and elective subjects,”

— Earth Science teacher Jamie Berendt

The fair will feature science projects created by elementary, middle, and high school students.

“From my earth and space science classes I have four students participating,” Berendt said. “Biology, chemistry, and physics classes are participating. Some science teachers are making it mandatory, so they have multiple booths, but we have over 30 booths between all the different subjects.”

In addition to student participation, organizations on campus will be helping to make science night possible.

“I started off by helping brainstorm ideas of projects to do and decided to create a moon phases poster,” senior Brooke Spencer said. “I bought seven packs of Oreos that we will be used to demonstrate the moon phases. Student Council is partnering with the science department to create decorations and set up a face painting station for the night.”

Science is relevant everywhere, and being knowledgeable and aware of how things work in the world is very important,”

— senior Kendall Metcalf

Science night is not only an opportunity for entertainment, but senior Kendall Metcalf says it’s also about education.

“Science night is important for the students and volunteers because we are able to gain a better understanding of the topics we have learned through teaching,” senior Kendall Metcalf said. “It’s also important for the younger students attending because science is relevant everywhere, and being knowledgeable and aware of how things work in the world is very important.”