Pep rallies to be revamped

With the help of three others, a cheerleader gets thrown high above the gym floor during a 2016 pep rally.

Hallie Hunter

Aliza Porter, Staff Reporter

The first pep rally of the year is Friday at 3:45 p.m. with the cheerleaders hoping to change things up.

“You kind of have to start listening to what people are saying,” cheer coach Kandy Stevens said. “When you have more kids going to the cafeteria than going to the pep rallies then you know something’s not right so we’ve really actually sat down with the student council, drill team sponsor, and the band, and we’re kind of working together now.”

The theme for Friday’s pep rally is Dancing through the Decades.

“Kind of bouncing ideas off of each other so there’s not so much down time in the pep-rallies,” Stevens said. “We’ve kind of came together, especially with AP Ms. Whaling, she had a good vision and that’s what she kind of got together the pep rally, if you want to say it, committee and so we’ve been working basically since after probably in April. We came up with the themes this year early.”

As usual at pep rallies, the athletics portion of the school will get recognized, but academics will also share the spotlight.

“Really it’s not a big change,” Stevens said. “We are still going to be working closely with student council to make sure not just the athletics portion of the school gets recognized, but as well as our academics. It’s just a natural flow for when you’re trying to increase spirit. It would be your spirit leaders, which are your cheerleaders.”