Harvey donation drive underway

Collections boxes are set up in the rotunda for donations which will be provided to those affected by Hurricane Harvey. The donation drive is being led by student council in a partnership with the Frisco PTA.

Following the devastating effects of Hurricane Harvey, many parts of south Texas including Houston and surrounding towns have been permanently damage by the flooding. To help provide necessary items to those affected by Hurricane Harvey, student council is partnering with the Frisco PTA and collecting items in the rotunda until Sept. 21.

“In order to help those that have been affected by Hurricane Harvey,” student council president Jeffrey Nebeker said. “What we are doing is kind of a little drive for hygiene products with Red Cross, and we are also accepting lots of things in regards to infants because they lack things that babies need like bottle, formula, and diapers and stuff like that so we are trying to raise as much as those materials as possible and make sure that the babies are taken care of.”

With damage estimates ranging from approximately $20 billion in Houston alone, and $190 billion overall, Harvey is the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history.

“We want to help as many people as possible hit by the hurricane in Houston,” Nebeker said. “So if you guys have anything it would be a real big help to both us and those in Houston if you could go ahead and drop them off.”

• Taken from outside of office buildings on the University of Houston campus, many typically busy streets were flooded as a result of several feet of rain falling during Hurricane Harvey.

• Hardy Toll Road, typically busy, is now deserted as water levels rise to the street lights.

• Houston’s average annual rainfall is about 50 inches, but some parts will see more than that within the week.

• Hurricane Harvey has left Houston with an estimated $20 billion in damage.

• Hurricane Harvey is the first category 4 hurricane to hit Texas since Hurricane Carla in 1961.

• NRG Stadium, home of NFL team the Houston Texans, is seen partially underwater.

• Many major streets, including Interstate 45, are flooded, leaving people stranded in their homes.

• Hurricane Harvey has left much of the Greater Houston area completely flooded

• Hurricane Harvey left approximately 300,000 people without power on Saturday.

• Students left on University of Houston Campus are advised to stay in their dorms as the water is too high to leave.

• Rotated to show the full length, snakes, along with other animals seek shelter from high waters and rough winds.

• Reaching wind speed of 130 mph, Harvey is the first category 4 hurricane to hit the U.S. since Hurricane Charley hit Florida in 2004.

• Residents are unable to drive due to increasing water levels almost reaching traffic signals.

• Devastating flood traps residents of Houston causing them to climb to higher floors

• Catastrophic flood submerges roads.