Parking problems

For the first time in school history, students are required to pay $50 for a 2017-18 parking permit.

Eilidh McGarva

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

Issues with the implementation of $50 student parking permits continues as the booting of cars began on Monday and will continue as some students still have yet to purchase a parking permit. Making matters more challenging, the lack of parking during the fall as approximately one-third of student park is reserved for marching band practice.

“The biggest thing is that students have a parking pass,” associate principal Stacy Whaling said. “We know there aren’t enough spots but if you’re parking somewhere you’re not supposed to and you don’t have a pass, that’s a bigger issue”

The school’s two student parking lots, located on the east side of the building, house a total of 637 parking spots. However, with the exclusion of the band parking lot during football season, the total is brought down to 333 parking spaces for any and all students who drive to school.

That number is being reduced slightly as some students will be allowed to park in the band lot.

“We’ve directed 30 students from band to park in the band parking lot,” finance secretary Christi Wilson said. “So 30 more spots will be open out there.”

The lack of student park resurfaces every year as the school has more student drivers than parking spaces. The administration has tried to find a permanent solution to the problem, and has gone as far as speaking to the superintendent about building a new student lot.

“We discussed this for years you know asking if we could please get another entrance and use this for parking, or this for parking,” Wilson said. “We definitely know what’s going on and we are taking it seriously.”