Parking permit deadline extended

For the first time in school history, students are required to pay $50 for a 2017-18 parking permit. The original deadline to buy a permit was Monday, but that deadline has been extended until further notice.

Eilidh McGarva

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

The new parking permit policy was supposed to go into effect Monday but that has been changed. Originally, the deadline for parking without a permit was Sept. 11, but the date has been extended. 

In order to obtain a pass, a student must pay the $50 fee on MyPaymentsPlus, then fill out the link sent to their Frisco ISD email account regarding insurance and car information.

“The admin are having meetings galore on this,” finance secretary Christi Wilson said. “They are contacting other high schools to see what they’re doing as well, so they will have this worked out before regulations start being enforced.”

Several factors that go into the decision to push back the implementing of consequences as 420 passes have been paid for. However, only 297 parking passes have been issued to students on the campus.

Along with a lack of passes for students, there is also a lack of parking spaces in the fall. The band occupies the south parking lot for marching season, forcing some students to park along the streets adjacent to the parking lot. As a result, the school’s administration has found problems with ticketing students who don’t have a parking spot to park in.

Although the official date for when parking passes will be required has yet to be announced, when it is set in place, the first three offenses will result in a $10 fine, and after that, a $15 and a boot on the offender’s vehicle.

“I don’t think it’s all a cut and dry thing,” Wilson said. “If they’re paying $50 for it, they should have a parking space.”