New group hoping to build homes

Minuki Medis

Starting this year, the Habitat for Humanity club hopes to raise money to go towards building homes for those in need. Sophomores Kate Liang, Christine Le and Jessie Rho (left to right) addressed club members at their first meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017.

Building homes, landscaping, and fundraising are goals of the Habitat for Humanity club, one of the many new clubs on campus this year.

“All the other clubs at this school, like Key Club, they do many other volunteer opportunities, but they don’t really focus on the unfortunate families that have bad living conditions,” co-president Kate Liang said. “I think Habitat [for Humanity] will try to fix that.”

Habitat for Humanity describes itself as a non-profit organization working to make sure that everyone has a decent place to live.

“I think this club adds a way for the students to give back to their community and also to get their volunteer hours,” co-president Christine Le said. “I would encourage students to join for more opportunities to give back. I want to have this expand across the school and have a lot of people join it.”

Although the organization operates on a global scale, the club presents offers local volunteer opportunities.

“There’s build opportunities where you go build houses,” Liang said. “There’s also opportunities to fundraise for our affiliate in North Collin County and Habitat for Humanity International. Finally, you can go educate others about [Habitat for Humanities] and the need for affordable housing.”

A large focus of the club is not just building, but holding different fundraisers.

“I want to see that we have a good number of members in the club and raise $1000 by the end of the year,” sponsor and biology teacher Richard Sabatier said. “That’s my goal but it’s kind of big.”